As we approach January 2010 many of our new year’s resolutions will begin to take shape. A large group of individuals will probably start to think about getting in shape and losing weight. As this is the case almost every year, I would imagine that it’s no different this year.
With that said I feel it’s a good time to share TriVita’s latest Wellness Report with you. So, if exercise and weight loss are on your radar screen for the coming year, this report, written by Brazos Minshew, TriVita’s Chief Science Officer, should help you get started on the right track.
Calories: Time to Burn!
by Brazos Minshew
Losing weight is a challenge. It requires the same careful consideration that you would give to any serious endeavor; don’t fail to plan. But, create a plan that is realistic. Allow for interruptions such as sickness or travel. Plan to start during a quiet time in your life, not when work and family responsibilities are likely to be at their peak.
You may prefer to start with an exercise program and then add in dietary changes. Or you may want to do it the other way around. If you’re really motivated, you may want to start both the exercise and diet segments simultaneously.
Very few aspects of your life are as emotionally charged as securing your right to choose for yourself. From early childhood until today, one of the most frequent choices you make concerns your diet. You must have choices and they must be your own. Recognize that restricting yourself from available choices goes against your very nature. A restrictive diet is doomed to failure. Select a diet that is uncomplicated and appealing to you and you will have a greater chance for success.
The first challenge we face in diet selection is committing to the discipline of thinking ahead instead of eating impulsively. So, start with something small and attainable:
- Many health experts recommend fresh fruits and vegetables daily
- 5 servings for children
- 7 servings for women
- 9 servings for men
- Add high quality protein to your diet
- Drink plenty of water
These are easy steps that you can accomplish today! Remember, the time you spend selecting the right diet for yourself is an investment in your health and your future. Give it the attention it deserves.
Calories in – calories OUT!
We must burn more calories than we consume in order for weight loss to occur.
Exercise is the key to permanent, lifetime weight control. There is no way around it. However, exercise does not have to be a punishment; it can really be pleasurable. The key is finding something you enjoy doing. I suggest that you start with three forms of activity; this prevents exercise boredom. Add more activities every month. Get in the habit of participating in at least 30 minutes of activity every day.
There are basically two types of exercise that you need every week:
- Aerobic exercise is defined as any activity that increases your need for oxygen. Aerobics make you breathe harder. You need at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise most days of the week.Aerobic exercise can balance hormones, relieve anxiety and depression, and mobilize your energy for the great works of your life. Aerobic exercise speeds up your metabolism.
But where does metabolism originate? It comes from your lean body mass your muscles! That is the domain of resistance training.
- Progressive resistance training is defined as any exercise where the load to the muscle is increased by some mechanical means – weights, bands, springs, and many other methods. The key is to progressively increase the weight or resistance over time. This results in more lean body mass and less fat mass. If you increase your muscle strength, you increase the “engines” that produce muscle energy. Nothing builds metabolism (muscle energy) as well as progressive resistance training.
Supplements for weight loss
A smart weight loss system can also be an important part of your weight loss plan. For many people it represents the critical difference between success and failure in lifetime weight control.
- Fat burning capsules Weight Loss Capsules help increase metabolism and energy to support your body’s ability to burn more calories. Plus, they help limit cortisol production – the stress-induced hormone that can lead to abdominal fat.
- Snack replacement chews Appetite Control Chews contain ingredients that are clinically proven to help curb the appetite.
- Nutritional shakes Nutritional Shakes can be used as a low calorie meal substitute; they provide a healthy balance of wholesome carbohydrates, proteins, good fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
However, you must always remember that these are supplements; they supplement a healthy diet and exercise program. Use them wisely as an important part of your total wellness program.
Independent TriVita Business Owner – 12871028
Visit My TriVita Business Site
The above information presented herein is intended for educational purposes only. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat or prevent disease. Individual results may vary, and before using any supplements, it is always advisable to consult with your own health care provider.